Sunday, September 22, 2002

Found out on thursday (after interviewing) that I have the position at Nimitz middle school. Still teaching evil 7th graders, but according to my roomate, who's also teaching there, these kids are pretty good. Of course, as no good event can happen without its karmic balancing event, I arrived home that day to find that somebody had been negligent paying the power bill, and the house was without electricity. Apparently Con Ed came by and, without warning, shut off the power and padlocked the box. So, after a frantic journey out to a shady check-cashing place to try to get same-day reconnection failed, we settled in to the encroaching darkness. Somewhere in the middle of a tea-light illuminated cribbage game, the punk band arrived. Some background- my roomate BL is friends with one of the guys from The Imports, who are in the middle of a failing west-coast tour. Apparently they played on Warp(ed?) tour last year, but are not drawing so well on my current coast. Anyway, they had been by before, but this time, they arrived because (and I shit you not) their hotel had lost electricity.

Enjoying my last weekend day, and hitting the beach before I have to prep for my new assignment at Nimitz tomorrow. In typical brilliant district fashion, I wasn't on some sort of list, and therefore can't start teaching tomorrow, but have to go up to the district office in the AM for some sort of further processing, then back to the school. Love it.

No comments: