Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Laura Ingraham can't even trivialize the holocaust properly

Rightwing squawker Laura Ingraham has her take on the classic holocaust poem "First they came..." -

"First they came for the rich. And I did not speak out because I was not rich. Then they came for the property owners, and I did not speak out because I did not own property. Then they came for the right to bear arms, and I did not speak out because I was not armed. Then they came for me and denied me my medical care, and there was no one left to speak for me,"

Not only is this in pretty terrible taste, but it also makes no sense. In the original , when the Nazis "came for the communists," or the trade unionists or the Jews, they actually showed up, carted them away and imprisoned or killed them. That's why the kicker- "there was no one left to speak for me" works, because all of those people were actually gone and thus not able to speak.

Unless Ingraham is vastly more paranoid than I think she is, she can't actually believe that people are coming for the rich. At the worst, maybe the government will take a bit of money from the rich, or insist that gun owners put trigger locks on their guns so their kids don't shoot themselves accidentally or what have you... but never fear Laura, when they come to take your healthcare or whatever, the rich, armed, property owners will still be around to speak for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!