Saturday, October 05, 2002

Wow, it appears that a week has gone by since my last update... apologies to those who read this from time to time. In general, it seems that at the end of the day I'm basically to exhausted to do much updating... And now my attempt at reading The Lovely Bones in one week is taking time as well. See, I've wanted to read this for quite some time, but current finances are making the purchase of hardcover books impossible. So, I went to the library to get it. Unfortunately, they said, they have 5 people ahead of me on the wait list, so I read some other stuff instead. Then, upon returning said other stuff, I found that they have a special program where you can take out popular books, for a fee of $1, but you can only have them for 7 days and you can't renew. So right now, 4 days into my borrowing period, i'm not quite halfway done... much work cut out for me tomorrow.

Anyway, school goes extremely well. Got some difficulties with my third period class, but I think I got them in line yesterday. In need of an immediate solution to one kid's repeated disruptions, i used a suggestion from a fellow teacher. I summoned the kid to the front of the class and asked for his phone number. Then, I whipped out my cellphone, dialed, handed him the phone, and suggested that he explain to his parents why he was calling them from his history teacher's cellphone at 10:45 in the morning, instead of learning. That definitely shut the rest of the class up, and I didn't have to talk to a single person for the rest of the day. Currently trying to come up with 3 weeks worth of lessons on Islam, plus a controlling theme- if you have ideas pleas share.

No comments: