Sunday, December 01, 2002

Thanksgiving break is over- it was really nice to have a break. We went to RD's parents' place in Orange County for the big Turkey Day itself, and had a really nice early meal there. Following that up, I went with RH, BL, RD, and BW to a go-kart place near Irvine and spent the rest of the day riding go-karts and playing arcade games and mini-golf. It was a fairly bizarre day, altogether, very different from more family-oriented Thanksgivings that I've had in the past. Although the go-karts were a decent substitute for riding four-wheelers at Uncle Tom's place. Missing Thanksgiving at home 2 times in the past 3 years has definitely been pretty odd. Both times that I've missed it, I've come pretty close to the "urban tribes" model that I hold so dear to my heart (taking 3 hours off from work on the campaign in 2000, go-karting with friends this year) and had some Eggers-like moments that I'll certainly cherish, but both times I couldn't help but wish I was back in upstate NY with the fam.

No comments: