Wednesday, November 13, 2002

The viewing of "The Circle" I talked about below was an amazing success. I was pretty thrilled that the kids sat still to watch a movie in Farsi (Farsi!!!) with subtitles, but things went really well. The kids were absolutely appalled at the depictions of how women are treated in Iran, and many of them were really pissed that Bush doesn't do anything about it ( I certainly did little to quell that). In my honors class, we even got into cultural relativism- trying to see things from the eye of the Ayahtollah (if you'll permit me the lousy pun) and look at our marriage/divorce rates, abortions, babies out of wedlock, billboards for the Spearmint Rhino gentleman's clubs, sexual harassment, etc. seems from their POV. Best of all, 3 of the kids (of varying skill levels) all have borrowed the movie from me to finish watching at home.

Weekend was exceptionally nice.

No comments: